Today’s Reading: Daniel 5:10-16 (English Standard Version)
10 The queen, because of the words of the king and his lords, came into the banqueting hall, and the queen declared, O king, live forever! Let not your thoughts alarm you or your color change.11 There is a man in your kingdom in whom is the spirit of the holy gods. In the days of your father, light and understanding and wisdom like the wisdom of the gods were found in him, and King Nebuchadnezzar, your father–your father the king–made him chief of the magicians, enchanters, Chaldeans, and astrologers,12 because an excellent spirit, knowledge, and understanding to interpret dreams, explain riddles, and solve problems were found in this Daniel, whom the king named Belteshazzar. Now let Daniel be called, and he will show the interpretation.
13 Then Daniel was brought in before the king. The king answered and said to Daniel, You are that Daniel, one of the exiles of Judah, whom the king my father brought from Judah.14 I have heard of you that the spirit of the gods is in you, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom are found in you.15 Now the wise men, the enchanters, have been brought in before me to read this writing and make known to me its interpretation, but they could not show the interpretation of the matter.16 But I have heard that you can give interpretations and solve problems. Now if you can read the writing and make known to me its interpretation, you shall be clothed with purple and have a chain of gold around your neck and shall be the third ruler in the kingdom.
- How cool is it that when a need arose, the queen immediately thought of Daniel?
- I wonder how often our society thinks of Christians as the first place to turn during times of need?
- God gave Daniel this gift of interpretation to demonstrate His glory to the King.
- Daniel’s reputation was formed by what he was open to God doing through Him.
- Again with the promises of the purple robes and gold chains!